Monday, June 6, 2011

Amazing experiences with the English impaired.

We all face many challenges in the workplace trying to meet the needs of our customers. The product may be out, or late coming in, or simply GONE. It could be a long wait to check out, or a scavenger's list of random items.
Or maybe it's just the fact that customers are asking incorrectly. We've all had that experience. My personal favorites are always the language boundaries barely bilingual customers.

"Noodles for cake", "Juice for sushi", or my favorite, "Yorba Mate".

Noodles for cake: When you use whipped cream in a can, it can make a noodle like shape. On cake, it could appear like noodles, if you do it in a circle, which is the most common form of dispensing canned cream.

Juice for Sushi: Soy Sauce.

Yorba Mate: It is not your partner doing "Yorba". It is Yerba Mate, the tea. Yer-Bah Mah-Tey.

Once, I was helping a lady look for nuts. She asked me if I had any Hozzel Newts. What the hell. I was like...Hazelnuts...? DAH! She exclaims, happily. Later I found out that my coworker told her that Hozzel Newt was the proper pronunciation. Long story short: WE ARE JERKS.


Also got the background up and running. Pretty effing cute! Do you have any stories to share about lovely language butchering?

No comments:

Post a Comment